Every Kiwi who knows a bit about meat will have a favourite butcher. From summer BBQ’s with the in-laws, to preparing that mouth-watering roast for their midwinter Christmas; it’s safe to say that Kiwi’s love their meat! That’s why becoming a Butcher is quite the responsibility. And it’s also super rewarding.
Butchers work to prepare, package, display, and sell meat in shops and supermarkets. They have a huge range of tasks, and it’s safe to say one day won’t be the same as another. From working in freezers, to dealing with suppliers. From preparing cuts of meat, to giving customers what they need and sending them away with a smile.
Skills4Work is a niche training provider who is offering this new programme. We are a partner in the Maori Pasifika Trade Training (MPTT) Consortium. We are also an NZQA registered and accredited Category 1 training provider, who currently trains over 500+ butchery apprentices throughout NZ. Our newest Trade Butchery Programme is the first of its kind to hit New Zealand.
We specialise in providing students, not only with the skills and knowledge, but also the hands-on practical work experience in the actual workplace alongside their formal training at our Manukau Training Centre.
To become a butcher in Aotearoa, you’ll need to become qualified and gain a New Zealand Certificate in Trade Butchery. Start your career with Skills4Work Butchery Apprenticeship today.
When qualified you will have achieved the Introduction to Trade Butchery (Level 3) (Micro-credential). Becoming a trade butcher opens up career pathways such as:
This course is “Fees Free” if you are a NZ Resident. Check your eligibility for Fees Free now! Alternatively you can contact us and we can advise you if you qualify for the scheme.
Course Length12 weeks
Fees FreeNZ Resident
Next Intake 12th June 2023
The Introduction to Trade Butchery consists of 3 components. The course is 12 weeks long and is a blend of practical and on-site learning at our Skills4Work training centre based in Manukau, Auckland.
We are only 2 mins walking distance from the Manukau train station & bus hub.
Trainee Butchers will learn:
• Different cuts and grades of meat, and how long they remain fresh
• How to prepare and cook different types of meat
• How to safely use knives and other butchery equipment
• Food hygiene legislation and regulations
• Cooking and value added meat products
In this course, butchery students will experience and learn about the world of butchery. Butchers are creative and passionate about their trade.
You will learn about:
• The butchery industry, we will show you where your career can take you as a qualified butcher (visits to different butchery businesses)
• How to make hand-crafted sausages, slicing meat and mincing meat
• Learn about meat processing and preparation including refrigeration, temperature control for refrigerating the safety requirements for managing the cold storage of meat
• Customer service, food safety, contamination, health and safety, and learn some cooking techniques
• Essential skills that employers need, such as problem-solving, creativity, growth mindset, financial literacy, entrepreneurship
We have great connections with employers throughout New Zealand. Skills learnt, not only give you the opportunity to gain full-time employment but provide you with skills to support your family and the community. At the end of your programme we will support you to gain a work placement.
Whilst we would love to take on every single person who applies we do have some criteria you must meet:
• Domestic Student
• New Zealand Citizen or Resident
• Be at least 16 years old
• Have NCEA Level 2 OR equivalent knowledge OR current industry experience
• NZ Citizen/Residents are eligible for the Fees Free Scheme
• Student Loan and allowance options are available via Study Link
• Must be able to physically lift around 20 to 25kgs
• Must be able to travel to our training centre in Manukau, Auckland
• Have NCEA Level 2 or equivalent knowledge OR current industry experience
Do you have an opportunity for our Butchery students to join your business as an apprentice? Get in touch to list your vacancy on our website!
Discover the wide variety of courses we offer below, and how we can customise our programmes and resources to suit your needs.
That’s why we’re passionate about designing customised training solutions. Discover the wide variety of courses we offer below, and how we can customise our programmes and resources to suit your needs.
Whether you’re a company looking to nurture and advance your team, or an individual looking for flexible learning options – our aim is to train for the future.