This programme was created as a result of the skill shortage in the craft baking industry and a high demand for well trained, skilled and qualified employees. Skills4Work is a niche training provider who is offering this new programme. We are a partner in the Maori Pasifika Trade Training (MPTT) Consortium.
We are also an NZQA registered and accredited Category 1 training provider, who currently trains over 200+ bakery apprentices throughout NZ. Our newest Trade Baker Programme is the first of its kind to hit New Zealand.
We specialise in providing students, not only with the skills and knowledge, but also the hands-on practical work experience in the actual workplace alongside their formal training at our Manukau and Christchurch locations.
Skills4Work wants to empower and support our local, up & coming, younger generation with the knowledge, expertise, and experience to really make an impact in the community. We are passionate in developing well sought-after and highly skilled students and setting them up for an exciting career in the baking industry!
When qualified you will have achieved the Introduction to Trade Baking Level 3. Becoming a trade baker opens up career pathways such as:
This course is “Fees Free” if you are a NZ Resident. Check your eligibility for Fees Free now! Alternatively you can contact us and we can advise you if you qualify for the scheme.
Course Length12 weeks
Fees FreeNZ Resident
LocationAuckland & Christchurch
3rd July 2023 (Christchurch)
4th Sept 2023 (Auckland)
The introduction to Trade Baking consists of 3 components. The course is 12 weeks long and is a blend of practical and on-site learning at our Skills4Work training centre based in Manukau, Auckland and now also available in Christchurch!
Our Auckland Training centre is only 2 mins walking distance from the Manukau train station & bus hub.
Trainee Bakers will learn:
• How to follow recipes and change ingredients when needed
• Creating from scratch and pre-mix
• Measure and mix ingredients
• Knead, roll and shape dough/pastry for baking, either manually or using industrial-grade machinery
• How to bake bread, cake, and biscuits
• How to prepare items for sale, including icing items or decorating cakes
• How to prepare customer orders and serve customers
In each course, bakery students will experience and learn about the world of baking. Bakers are creative and passionate about their trade.
You will learn about:
• The baking industry, we will show you where your career can take you as a qualified baker (visits to different baking businesses)
• How to measure, calculate ingredients to make and bake muffins, basic bread products, basic piping and more
• Health and safety, food safety
• Essential skills that employers need, such as problem-solving, creativity, growth mindset, financial literacy, entrepreneurship
We have great connections with employers throughout New Zealand. Skills learnt, not only give you the opportunity to gain full-time employment but provide you with skills to support your family and the community. At the end of your programme we will support you to gain a work placement.
Whilst we would love to take on every single person who applies we do have some criteria you must meet:
• Domestic Student
• New Zealand Citizen or Resident
• Be at least 16 years old
• Have NCEA Level 2 OR equivalent knowledge OR current industry experience
• NZ Citizen/Residents may be eligible for the Fees Free Scheme
• Student Loan and allowance options are available via Study Link
• Must able to physically lift around 20 to 25kgs
• Must be able to travel to our training centre in Manukau, Auckland or our training centre in Christchurch.
Do you have an opportunity for our Bakery students to join your business as an apprentice? Get in touch to list your vacancy on our website!
Discover the wide variety of courses we offer below, and how we can customise our programmes and resources to suit your needs.
That’s why we’re passionate about designing customised training solutions. Discover the wide variety of courses we offer below, and how we can customise our programmes and resources to suit your needs.
Whether you’re a company looking to nurture and advance your team, or an individual looking for flexible learning options – our aim is to train for the future.